Date Posted: 27/11/2015
General Manager Job Opening
Theatre Orangeville is currently seeking a dynamic individual to fill the role of General Manager. Responsibilities include administration, financials and supervision of marketing & fundraising departments. The General Manager works closely with Theatre Orangeville Artistic Director, David Nairn. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity in the performing arts please e-mail resume & cover letter to David Nairn at firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties and Responsibilities:
The General Manager is responsible for the overall administrative, financial and daily operations of the Theatre, and in collaboration with the Artistic Director takes a lead role in all projects that the company undertakes. The General Manager supervises the marketing, fundraising, administrative and production departments. The General Manager reports to the Artistic Director and works closely with the Artistic Director to develop community partnerships and industry relationships.
Planning and Administration
1. In partnership with the Artistic Director and with approval of the Board of Directors, develops both long- and short-term strategic planning that support the advancement of the Theatre’s mission.
2. Develops and monitors the company’s budget to ensure the financial resources are properly managed.
3. Ensures that all federal, provincial and municipal operating grants, interim reports and final reports are submitted on time.
4. Hires and supervises staff – currently 18 (fulltime and parttime staff)
5. Prepares job descriptions, employment contracts and conducts all new employee interviews
6. Supervises the day-to-day activities and provides managerial support to the office and staff team
7. Manages current policies and procedures and develops new policies and procedures.
1. In collaboration with the Artistic Director prepares annual budgets as part of the business plan for the Board
2. Monitors internal accounting controls to ensure appropriate business processes are in place, which includes the payment of accounts on a timely basis
3. Reports to all regulatory and funding bodies as required, including Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and all civic, provincial and federal funding bodies
4. Prepares government grant applications including budget (CADAC), in collaboration with the Artistic Director
5. Prepares monthly financial updates and explanations to the Board Finance Committee
6. Oversees preparation of the annual audit
1. Negotiates Opera House management contracts with the Town of Orangeville
2. Negotiates Tourism delivery contracts with the Town of Orangeville
3. Applies for annual tax rebate with The Township of East Garafraxa
4. Authorizes capital expenditures for the Theatre and the production centre.
1. Supervises annual fundraising and sponsorship campaigns
2. Provides leadership to the Director of Development regarding strategic fundraising plans, fundraising campaign development, special events and targeted fundraising requests
3. Oversees the Director of Development activities including the Board of Directors Development Committee work, sponsor liaison activities, annual reporting to stakeholders and campaign-related sponsor correspondence.
The ideal Candidate will possess:
- Experience in and understanding of performing arts organizations, ideally 3-5 years of professional theatre management or arts administration
- Knowledge of the arts community of Orangeville and the surrounding area
- High degree of motivation and professionalism
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and work productively with artists and administrative and production staff
- Proven ability to build and maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of organizational stakeholders
- Proven ability to make administrative and procedural decisions
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with technology. Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Quickbooks is essential
- This position is a full time, year round position, located in Orangeville, Ontario
- 4 weeks vacation
- Salary to be negotiated
- Employment Start Date: February 1, 2016 (or earlier)
Please send your resume to: (no later than December 18, 2015)
David Nairn, Artistic Director
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.